Monday, July 18, 2011

Method 3

Although I've known about the cloud for awhile, I haven't really dipped my toes in.  As I am learning more about it, I can see myself using it for some things, such as doc sharing or accessing my work servers from home.  I do have a facebook account, but really don't put much out there.  I also run my school and a library website, but again am very careful about what is posted.  Overall, I think that I will take a cautious approach...take baby steps.

 I am leery about putting a lot of information out there.  As was pointed out in a couple of the articles, once you've put stuff out there who is to say that it stays secure?  This is a concern for me both personally and professionally.  I work in an elementary school, and student privacy is a big issue.  I can't imagine the repercussions if student info was suddenly open to all.  That would be a nightmare.

As for how this could/will affect my library, just like other technologies it will add to what I need to make sure that I teach my students.  I will need to add to my lessons on how to evaluate online info, how to be careful of what you put out there, how to make sure that you save your stuff and how to be careful of what you use and how you use it due to copyright laws.  I think that since many of these tools are not covered by the district's screens, it will also be important for me to monitor how students are using them.

No comments:

Post a Comment