Thursday, July 21, 2011

method 6

I love Youtube!  I share stuff all of the time through facebook.  The thing that I both like and dislike is the same, the sometimes overwhelming amount of video available.  I like that there is so much out there, but I dislike having to weed through a lot of stuff before I get what I'm really looking for.

I chose the video of the Ocegee Middle Schoolers because it makes me happy.  I've shared this video with students in my library and they really got into it, and were singing the refrain.  This video sends the message that reading is fun, which is always a great message.

My district has a limited block on Youtube and Teachertube, you can access them with your district username and password, yet students don't have access.  When I was still in the classroom, I would use Youtube to intro a new topic or to serve as a jumping off place for discussion.  It can be a great tool, when used judiciously.

I think that this site could be useful to libraries as a tool for publishing book reviews or promotions for upcoming library events. Patrons could then watch the reviews or promos and add comments to have an online discussion about books or the library.   Again I'm in an elementary school, so I would have to be really careful regarding students and privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment